Sunday, August 14, 2011

My First DIY Project!

My youngest son, who is 3 is in need of a twin size bed.  He's been sleeping on a toddler bed for a while now, and I can tell he's not enjoying it anymore!  Hubby and I have been discussing about buying a new bed for him, but I knew we could do better and save a few bucks!

I went to my parents house and took a look in the basement.  There was my old twin bed that I use to sleep in just sitting there.  Mattress, head board, foot board and a wooden board to lay on the bed frames and hold the mattress.  It use to be part of a bunk bed set, but it's one of those that can be used as two beds as well.

Well, the head and foot board needs a coat of paint and the wooden board needs new batting and new material to be put over it.  So I decided, I can fix it and make it look GREAT!

First, I brought out all the pieces...


Here's the wooden board.


The mattress.


Finally the rails, head board and foot board!

The first thing I did was tear off the fabric and batting off the wooden support board.


Then I decided to paint.  
Now I don't paint much, but I think I did pretty good.
I painted the head and the foot board.


Defiantly looks better then it did before!

I then replaced the old cardboard with new cardboard.


I then laid the batting down.


I then laid the fabric over the batting and stapled gun a few piece to hold in place.


I then flipped it over...


and stapled all around the edges.


After I was done, I placed it on the bed rails and put the head & foot
boards on to see how it would look!


Here is my 3 year old trying out the bed!
Can't wait to bring it home and add the mattress to it!






2 comments:

  1. Excellent effort and great idea..A good baby bunkbed mattress size should be adaptable in order for you to be able to make it the right size for when the baby is asleep or awake. Another main factor for the ideal baby mattress is that it should be waterproof, as there might be the chance that you may have to clean it once or twice.

    ReplyDelete

Join Swagbucks For Free And Earn Prizes!